The Adelaide Club was founded in 1863. The land in North Terrace on which the Club House stands was bought in the same year and building work rapidly proceeded, the Club House being, it seems, occupied by the end of 1864. The main structure fronting North Terrace remains virtually unaltered but in 1890 there was significant rebuilding at the rear of the premises. In 1963, the Annexe was opened on the top floor for mixed dining and in recent years there has been much refurbishment. A bar has been provided on the ground floor and bedroom accommodation brought up to standards appropriate for mixed use.
Members regard the Club as a home away from home and every effort is made to justify that perception of the Club. The Club takes particular pride in its staff and in its custom that staff serve food and beverage without the signing of chits, a custom which requires staff to know the Members.
Honorary Members are most welcome and invited to approach members of the staff for information or anything they need. Their attention is drawn particularly to the Library (on the first floor) where they will find both light and serious reading. Honorary Members may entertain guests at the Club and are encouraged to do so.
The Adelaide Club - 1880
| || |
The Adelaide Club - 2012